The Wedding and back to England

Saturday 19th June – The morning started with a huge thunderstorm with very heavy rain, which didn’t bode well for the rest of the day. Thankfully, things soon brightened up and by the time of the wedding at noon, the sun was shining and everything was dry. The civil ceremony all went well, though as 99% of it was in French, I’m having to assume that was the case. On, then, to the reception in a village hall a few miles away. Meal, speeches, wine, cake. More wine, disco, drunken dancing, more wine, cider etc. Everyone seemed to have a splendid time from what I can remember of it. Somehow we managed to get back to the chalets where we dug in for the forthcoming hangover.

Sunday 20th June – Vic and I remained in our chalet for much of the day, it rained a little and we were, as expected, a tad hungover. In the evening a few of us chowed down on some of the leftover cheese, bread and a variety of meat products accompanied by some Normandy beer and wine.

Monday 21st June – Our return ferry was due to leave at 18:00 so we helped Loic and Deb with some of the clearing up for the chalets and accompanied them to their house outside Caen for something to eat. Popped in to a wine merchants on the way to the ferry and bought a 10 litre wine box in preparation of our trip to Glastonbury and beyond.

Once more the ferry crossing was smooth and we were pleased to find the van as we left it at the car park. We sorted out a few bags of clothes etc and then set off in the van for the Alderbury Park Caravan and Camp site at Whaddon near Salisbury. We were booked in there for two nights while we prepared and waited for the Glastonbury Festival gates to open on Wednesday 23rd.

The journey flew by and we were at the site before dark. It’s a nice small, friendly site with good but simple facilities. The pub across the road, The Three Crowns, was opening that night under new ownership, so we popped in for a drink. There were a few other couples from the campsite there who had been to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice celebrations.

After returning from the pub, we settled in for our first night sleeping in the van. It was at this point that we found we’d done our usual trick over over-packing, so that getting the “Rock’n’Roll” bed into position means moving half the contents of the van. Ah well….